D aniel Brenna opened Brenna Funeral Home in a store front located on South Clinton Avenue in Trenton, New Jersey, in October of 1929. He continued to successfully run Brenna Funeral Home from that location until 1942.
During the year of 1939 Daniel Brenna purchased a home located in the (Chambersburg Section of Trenton) from the Trenton Trust Company.
The home was previously owned by the Thomas Maddock family. Thomas built the Victorian home at 340 Hamilton Avenue prior to 1895. Thomas Maddock owned and operated the Thomas Maddock and Sons Company, a very well known Trenton ceramic company. Years later they sold the company to American Standard, Inc, which still has a plant at 240 Princeton Avenue, Hamilton Township today. Later they also sold their home on Hamilton Avenue.
The home has a great history. During the roaring twenties the building was used as a speakeasy, called the "Ritz Club", with afternoon and evening music. Later, it served as a reception hall for weddings and banquets, and many local area residents had their wedding receptions here. During the 1930's it was the home of "Circolo Italiano", and the Italian Cultural Society.
In 1939 Daniel began to renovate the new building. He moved Brenna Funeral Home into the building on Hamilton Avenue in 1942. Eleven years later in 1953 he added on a rear chapel and a downstairs lounge. After Daniel Brenna passed away his son Daniel R. Brenna, Esquire and also a licensed funeral director took the family business over. He continued to run the family business until his retirement in January of 1997.